Falls Church, Va. –The National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors is saddened to announce the death of Dr. Susan B. Waters, Chief Executive Officer of NAIFA. Dr. Waters, 63, died unexpectedly on Tuesday, Dec. 16, at her home in Washington, D.C.
“Susan’s passing is a great loss for the NAIFA family,” said NAIFA President Juli Y. McNeely, LUTCF, CFP, CLU. “Susan was a dedicated leader and a strong advocate for our industry. She cared very much about our members and the work they do in securing the financial futures of America’s businesses and families. Our thoughts and prayers are with Susan’s family at this difficult time. We will miss her very much.”
Dr. Waters was named CEO of NAIFA in March 2010 and had served as NAIFA’s Acting CEO since December 2009 and Deputy CEO since October 2007. She had more than 23 years of experience in professional association management, as well as experience in the insurance industry. In 2013, Dr. Waters was the recipient of the American Society of Association Executives’ Key Award, which recognizes the association CEO who demonstrates exceptional qualities of leadership and displays a deep commitment to voluntary membership organizations.
Prior to joining NAIFA, Dr. Waters was president of Sextant Consulting, a firm specializing in association governance, conflict management, strategic planning, leadership development, and meeting facilitation. In her career, she has served as the CEO of three associations, has been a licensed insurance broker, and has served as executive vice president of an insurance agency.
NAIFA’s Board of Trustees will provide further details regarding succession plans in the wake of Dr. Water’s untimely death.
- 2016 FMO Executive Outlook, Part I: The M&A climate, planning for the DOL Fiduciary Rule, other key challenges
- Prudential restructures U.S. life and annuity business in effort to expand customer value proposition
- What it takes to be an ‘Agent for the Future’
- Wearables and telematics on verge of huge impact in P&C markets
- Next wave of fee-based FIAs hit the market
- How great credit/no credit impacts auto insurance premiums
- 4 Real Life Stories: Life Happens honors agents for exhibiting outstanding client service
- Optional benefits: Changing a ‘no’ to a ‘yes’