WASHINGTON – The National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA) released PIA's 2016 Advocacy and Policy Priorities on Jan. 29, which include preserving the role of agents in healthcare reform; defending state regulation of insurance; cultivating agent licensing uniformity; promoting small business & tax reform; and safeguarding important property/casualty programs.
"In 2015, PIA had great success in advocating for independent insurance agents at the federal and state level," said PIA National Executive Vice President & CEO Mike Becker. "PIA successfully defended the independent agency system and advocated on behalf of independent agents at the federal level. We intend to build on that success in 2016."
The full document with more detail on each priority is available at: http://pianet.com/docs/2016/piapolicyplan2016/.
PIA helped achieve two victories in the year-end "omnibus" appropriations funding measure: a two-year delay of the "Cadillac Tax," a 40% tax on certain employer-based health plans, and the passage of the Policyholder Protection Act, which prohibits federal regulators from using assets designated to pay out insurance claims to "prop up" an affiliated bank.
PIA also successfully advocated for the reversal of a $3 billion cut to the Federal Crop Insurance Program. In addition, PIA actively advocated for the passage of the Protecting Affordable Coverage for Employees Act (PACE), enabling states to keep the current definition of a small group market in health insurance at 50 or fewer employees.
"This Congress has broken free of gridlock to act on many issues to the benefit of professional insurance agents and their customers, approving bills endorsed by PIA," said PIA National Vice President of Government Relations Jon Gentile. "We look forward to continuing to work with lawmakers to support the independent agency system and Main Street insurance agents everywhere."
• Have some thoughts on the list of advocacy priorities? Please share them on this new thread: PIA’s Top 5 Policy and Advocacy Priorities
About PIA: Founded in 1931, PIA is a national trade association that represents member insurance agents and their employees who sell and service all kinds of insurance, but specialize in coverage of automobiles, homes and businesses. PIA members are Local Agents Serving Main Street America. PIA's web address is www.pianet.com.
- Insurtech Updates: Launches, expansions, partnerships and more
- NAIFA launches LACP designation as new ‘gold standard’ for life and annuity professionals
- Partial Fiduciary Rule implementation starts Friday – with no enforcement
- More than 8 in 10 advisors now use social media for marketing, researching prospects and building relationships
- Resources being rolled out to help with partial Fiduciary Rule compliance
- Best-ever start to a year for indexed life sales, new report says
- Diversity, innovation top agenda at Women in Insurance Global Conference
- Millennials pose greater auto risk than previous generations at same age, but appear worth it in long run