WASHINGTON – The National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA) released PIA's 2016 Advocacy and Policy Priorities on Jan. 29, which include preserving the role of agents in healthcare reform; defending state regulation of insurance; cultivating agent licensing uniformity; promoting small business & tax reform; and safeguarding important property/casualty programs.
"In 2015, PIA had great success in advocating for independent insurance agents at the federal and state level," said PIA National Executive Vice President & CEO Mike Becker. "PIA successfully defended the independent agency system and advocated on behalf of independent agents at the federal level. We intend to build on that success in 2016."
The full document with more detail on each priority is available at: http://pianet.com/docs/2016/piapolicyplan2016/.
PIA helped achieve two victories in the year-end "omnibus" appropriations funding measure: a two-year delay of the "Cadillac Tax," a 40% tax on certain employer-based health plans, and the passage of the Policyholder Protection Act, which prohibits federal regulators from using assets designated to pay out insurance claims to "prop up" an affiliated bank.
PIA also successfully advocated for the reversal of a $3 billion cut to the Federal Crop Insurance Program. In addition, PIA actively advocated for the passage of the Protecting Affordable Coverage for Employees Act (PACE), enabling states to keep the current definition of a small group market in health insurance at 50 or fewer employees.
"This Congress has broken free of gridlock to act on many issues to the benefit of professional insurance agents and their customers, approving bills endorsed by PIA," said PIA National Vice President of Government Relations Jon Gentile. "We look forward to continuing to work with lawmakers to support the independent agency system and Main Street insurance agents everywhere."
• Have some thoughts on the list of advocacy priorities? Please share them on this new thread: PIA’s Top 5 Policy and Advocacy Priorities
About PIA: Founded in 1931, PIA is a national trade association that represents member insurance agents and their employees who sell and service all kinds of insurance, but specialize in coverage of automobiles, homes and businesses. PIA members are Local Agents Serving Main Street America. PIA's web address is www.pianet.com.
- 2016 FMO Executive Outlook, Part I: The M&A climate, planning for the DOL Fiduciary Rule, other key challenges
- Prudential restructures U.S. life and annuity business in effort to expand customer value proposition
- What it takes to be an ‘Agent for the Future’
- Wearables and telematics on verge of huge impact in P&C markets
- Next wave of fee-based FIAs hit the market
- How great credit/no credit impacts auto insurance premiums
- 4 Real Life Stories: Life Happens honors agents for exhibiting outstanding client service
- Optional benefits: Changing a ‘no’ to a ‘yes’